After 11 years, 4 server changes and countless rage/quits, My Nirvana was completed on 11/23/2014

After 11 years, 4 server changes and countless rage/quits, My Nirvana was completed on 11/23/2014

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Hide and Seeker

Hey guys! (all... what... 7 of you?)

As some of you may well know by now, or at least figured it out on your own (you're so smart!), I took a break from the game shortly after my move to Cerberus. I promise I didn't forget the blog was here... I just didn't have anything worth posting about until I knew for sure that I was coming back. Now that I'm out of hiding, I suppose I owe you an explanation. At the time I merged onto Cerberus, I was going through a job change IRL that took up a lot of my attention. As a regrettable result, I decided to eliminate any and all distractions that were not vital to the success of my new job. Sadly, that meant unsubscribing from FFXI for a little while.

To be honest, I think I needed a break from the game for a while anyway. There wasn't much to capture my attention and I was beginning to seriously consider working on a Mythic Weapon (Nirvana <3) again... and that's not good for anybody's mental health.

My time away has given me a chance to take up some more casual games in my limited spare time, but I'm soon to return to glorious Vana'diel once more! After all... no other game I've ever played has been as entertaining for as long as FFXI has been.

"Why now, Yyg?"

That's a very good question. Go get a cookie. When you get back, I shall weigh in on the newest Expansion, "Seekers of Adoulin" and the recent flood of information that we've received on it.

*omnomnom* "We're ready! Tell us what you think!"

Ok first... chew with your mouth closed. You're being gross. You're gross.

"Sorry?"

Thank you. Was that so hard? 

------------------------------------------------------------------



So we finally have a set release date! That was what got my blood flowing, my heart racing and my gamer hands shaking. March 26th 2013. Now I know that's still almost 3 whole months away... but it's still something to look forward to that's more than an arbitrary and ever-changing "Roadmap".

Speaking of the roadmap... where's my Cait Sith, SE? I WANT MY CAT!!!

*ahem*

Anywho, on top of the release date, we got a little more info regarding the new areas to the West including a little about how to get there (super important) and what we might expect to see (just cool). Here are some of my favorite highlights from the past couple of weeks:

   Proposed Adoulin warp locations

I like that there are more than 2 entrances (Here's lookin' at you, Swirling Vortexs... vortexi? Vortie? *insert correct pluralization of Vortex here*) but less than 1,000 (WotG...).

"You're exaggerating. There aren't 1,000 entrances. That's just stupid."

Well there might as well have been. The whole "Activate each one by traveling from the past to the present through it" crap made it sure feel like there were 1,000. There were few things as frustrating as trying to use a WotG maw to meet up with a friend quickly... only to find out it's one of the last ones you still haven't unlocked yet.  

"You wana talk frustrated? There's no goddamn entrance near Windurst!"

It's a new land TO THE WEST. You don't like it, take it up with Tenzen.  


Before (Concept)

After (Application)

Conceptual designs made actual are some of my favorite things to follow along with when it comes to games. Obviously the city is still in the development stages, but it keeps looking better every day. If I can find some better quality images (that I can access from the PC at work) I'll replace these tiny ones. In the meantime, just get really really close to the screen.

"My eyes!"

Suck it up, pansy.


Tree!!!

I call dibs! This will be my thinking spot. Think. Think. Think. Get it? Anyone?

"What the hell are you talking about?"

Damn youngins...


Yoshitaka Amano Art

I always have been and always will be a huge fan of Yoshitaka Amano's Art style. I especially enjoy the sprawling landscape pieces he does for FFXI for each of the expansions... and this is no exception. What's even more fun is going back and looking for all the small details and spoilers that he inserts into his art. It's like a game of Where's Waldo without Waldo... which is awesome... because I hate that guy. He thinks hes so good at hide and seek. I once hid in under the stairs for most of my childhood. Then I went to this magical school where I learned to become a wizard...

"That's Harry Potter, Yyg. Now we know you're just making shit up."

Oh yeah? Well then how to you explain this lightning bolt shaped scar?

"That's sharpie... we can still smell it"

*Huff* Quiet! Me being a way cooler wizard than you has nothing to do with my option on Seekers of Adoulin. Now let me finish my thoughts before I make you levio-shityourpants. Didn't know about that one, did you? 

"That's because it doesn't..."

WIZAHD!!!! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As a final note, among all the things that are announced for the expansion, I can't wait to play and level up as a monster. There's just something about the potential hilarity that something like this brings to the table that I just can't stop giggling about. Will it be worth the wait? Knowing the current team working on the game... probably not. Will it still be fun? Probably in limited capacity. Will I still rampage through the jungle beating the hell out of other players as a giant frog if possible? You bet your soon to be wart-covered corpse I will! Speaking of frogs... how was your cookie? *grin*

"What the hell is wrong with..."

WIZAHD!!!! 

 
I'll post again in the next few days with some more updates, opinions and hopefully better images.

No comments:

Post a Comment